Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homemade Baby Food

This is Sophia getting ready to eat some of her sweet potatoes. I have been making all of her baby food. I think it's a lot of fun plus I'm saving money and know exactly what she's eating. She loves her sweet potatoes and has also tried green beans, butternut squash, and bananas...yummy! She is such a good eater, she eats rice/fruit for breakfast, vegetable/fruit for lunch, and oats/vegetable for dinner. I never knew foods would be so much fun!

These are the containers I bought for her baby food, they are called Baby Cubes. They are AWESOME, I love them! They are like ice cube trays and you snap these containers into them and they each hold 2 oz. of baby food or breast milk. It is so nice because I can grab a couple of them and throw them in the diaper bag and we're off!

They stack very nicely in my freezer, I bought 4 sets (although I think a 4 more would be great..Christmas ideas?) Anyway making baby food is way easier than I thought it would be. This morning it took me less than 15 minutes of prep time to make butternut squash and less than 5 minutes to make green beans. I even use just a cheap blender I have, not a fancy food processer! The savings are adding up too, I saved $10.40 this week on making my own baby food than buying generic brand baby food at Wal-Mart, so just another reason to make my own.

And when we're done we just put them in the dishwasher they are dishwasher, freezer, and microwave safe! So if you are thinking off ways to save money you can make your own food, or if you just want to know what your baby is eating! It has been a lot of fun and I think the Baby Cubes are the way to go...easy and portable. I think our next food will be another fruit...most likely PEACHES!!! I'm sure she'll love them. What does everyone else think about homemade baby food? Any good recipes? I better run almost time for Sophia's PM nap. Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Hi Melissa,

Robin told me about your blog so I could see Litte Miss Sophia. Congrats to you both! I've been following it shortly after you started it.

Wanted to pop in and say that I think it's great that your making your own food. I made alot of Gracie's as well. It's an awesome thing to be able to do b/c you do know what your baby is eating. Not to mention all the money you do save.

Take Care and tell Jason I said hello!