Friday, May 2, 2008

Four Generations

This a picture of four generations on my side of the family. This is my grandma Maxine Schlichter, my mom Sue, myself, and Sophia. This is a really special picture for me because my grandma has Alzheimer's disease and is in the advanced stages. She has reached the point where she can't even feed herself or talk anymore. So it meant a lot to Mom and myself that Sophia was able to have her picture with Grandma Schlichter. Grandma actually carries baby dolls around at the nursing home, she actually had seven children of her own and babies seem to be familiar to her. Today when we were there she laid eyes on Sophia and watched her intently the whole time, it was very touching. She actually smiled a bit when we let her "hold" Sophia. When we took Sophia away she actually kept bunching up the blanket on her lap as if she wondered where the baby went. Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease! I am so glad we had the opportunity to take this photo with her though.

1 comment:

Rhonda VB said...

What a very special picture this is! It brought tears to my eyes as I read of how Sophia seemed to bring a sense of comfort to her Gr. Grandma Schlichter. I'm so glad you have a "picture" of this special time to keep this memory alive, not only in your hearts, but a memento to share someday with Sophia.

Love you all,
Grandma (Mom) VB